Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Week 2 – Journal Post - Signs and Symbols

In your journal post, consider the concept of interactive participant and represented participant as identified in the semiotic theory in Kress and Van Leeuwin Chapter 2 and its link to the social context of literacy.

Based on our text Reading Images, The Grammar of Visual Design written by Gunther Kress and Theo van Leeuwen, “there are two types of participant involved in every semiotic act, interactive participants and represented participants. The former are the participants in the act of communication – the participants who speak and listen or write and read, make images or view them, whereas the latter are the participants who constitute the subject matter of the communication; that is the people, places and things (including abstract things) represented in and by the speech or writing or image, the participants about whom or which we are speaking or writing or producing images” (Kress & van Leeuwn, 48).

Symbols are used in our everyday lives as a form of communication.  We are typically surrounded by signs and symbols. After completing our reading, I took notice of places I visited that day to really absorb just how many signs we know and recognize.  This was an interesting read for me.  I have always been aware of signs and symbols, and their impact on everyday life, but I had never been aware that there was an actual name for it.  I wasn’t aware it was an actual theory; and I had never heard of social semiotic theory of multimodality.

I feel so many people learn visually so I can understand why signs and symbols have such an impact on society. We see symbols in our everyday lives when driving, traveling, searching for a restroom, or visiting a park. Company logos also represent a type of sign or symbol we see and recognize every day.  As part of our literacy, we need to incorporate symbols into other forms of literacy that we encounter.  Our text states that “it is important to stress the essential interchangeability of visual and verbal participants in diagrams, and, indeed, in many other visual genres. Although the processes and structures in diagrams are always visual, the participants which they relate to each other may be of different kinds: pictures, naturalistic or schematic; abstract shapes, with or without verbal labels; words, either enclosed or not enclosed in boxes or other shapes, letters; and so on” (Kress & van Leeuwn, 57).

In addition to globally recognized signs, there are also the signs that I have incorporated into my own job.  As I manage a project or develop a course, I have symbols that I use to quickly alert me to where I am with the project tasks.  I use an application called Microsoft Visio often to manage larger projects. I use it to develop flow charts.  In doing so, shapes are selected to represent a certain action or step such as a process, decision, or delay.  Even the arrows connecting the shapes have a meaning – to show relationships.  According to out text, “the straight line, for instance, means what it literally is: ‘straight’. The ‘straightness’ may then be used to carry any one of a vast range of meanings compatible with that” (Kress & van Leeuwn, 56).

When employees login to our learning management system (LMS), they are greeted by symbols telling them at a quick glance whether they have completed a training requirement or are still in progress or enrolled. They can also see a symbol for the type of training they are enrolling in. There are symbols representing courses in the areas of sales, safety, technology, to name a few.  Speaking of safety, our employees need to be aware of all symbols (called pictograms) representing chemical hazards. These pictograms represent dangers such as flammables, gasses, irritants, explosives and other health hazards.  These are in place to keep employees safe from hazards and to prevent hazards.  To see a list of these OSHA pictograms, you can visit the OSHA website – they are helpful for everyone to know and recognize (OSHA.gov) in their own day to day lives.   

Resources

Kress, Gunther & van Leeuwen, Theo (2006). Reading Images: The Grammar of Visual Design. New York: Routledge.  


OSHA, https://www.osha.gov/Publications/HazComm_QuickCard_Pictogram.html

12 comments:

  1. Hi there. While reading your entry, I couldn't help but think that you might enjoy checking out a book that I just came upon. Don't panic, it isn't a book with many words, and that is actually the content and focus of the book. The Chinese contemporary artist Xu Bing,in his book, "The Book About Xu Bing's Book From The Ground",has indexed, organized, and employed an existent universal, cross cultural language to create short visual narratives. He cataloged millions of icons,logos,emoticons, and the standardized illustrations that pervade our contemporary world. Quite an undertaking.His goal was to create a universal , globally understood visual language. In my opinion certain icons and symbols are still socially or culturally and economically located, so it would be difficult to consider this literacy as universal, but it is interesting. Reading the symbols is a slower process then I would have imagined. Some symbols represent pretty complex ideas. And, not surprisingly, but seems the case for my reading anyway...that the bones of the story stay in tact, but the color and affective qualities don't exist. Check it out if you get a chance. It could make for a fun addition to your symbols identification workshops.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great recommendation! Thanks so much! I will definitely check it out. I will see if it is available online for my tablet! :) Sounds like it would be a good tool for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cathy-

    I agree this chapter does open your eyes to see that we are surrounded by signs and different imagery. It's really interesting to see how symbols effect our daily life and are everywhere. On pg 54, Kress and van Leeuwen explain how squares and rectangles are symbols of western society and how they dominate the shapes of our building, cities and roads and even the shapes of household items like picture frames. After looking around my home I realized that most of the symbols and shapes used are either rectangular or square. From the directions written on the back of a cake box to an ad for a DVD which came inside an Amazon box.

    Resources:
    Kress, Gunther & van Leeuwen, Theo (2006). Reading Images: The Grammar of Visual Design. New York: Routledge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's funny - I have been doing the same thing throughout the day. I am much more aware of signs, symbols, colors, etc. My son is learning to drive and was studying road signs - that got me thinking about driving and travel in general. There are so many areas where signs are not just about direction or communication, but also safety. It really is something I feel like I have taken for granted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cathy,

    Before reading this chapter I never considered that shapes and symbols can represent such a deeper meaning. I never thought about a circle in terms of “endlessness, warmth, protection or as the traditional symbol of eternity and the heavens” (p. 54) or a square representing “honesty, straightness, and workmanlike meaning. It represents the world and denotes order” (p. 54). There is one shape that I have always felt represented a deeper meaning and that would be a circle. I have always thought of a circle as symbol that is unbroken like a wedding ring. I remember reading something about diamonds rings and that it was better to go with a circle shaped diamond over a heart one because hearts can be broken and circles represent infinity or as the text suggests “endlessness”. It makes sense why in an emotional way why someone would chose a circle shaped diamond over a heart shaped one. I never thought of shapes as anything more than being just that – a shape. Images have deeper meanings than what we visually see, and I know I will be more aware of shapes and symbols and possible meanings behind them in the future.

    You mentioned your learning management system (LMS) and all the symbols employees are greeted with when they log into the system. Isn’t it amazing how symbols and shapes are utilized in every aspect of life? I think recognizing symbols makes it is easier to understand what is being portrayed such as the symbol for “flammables”. It will be interesting to see if we start to see more shapes and symbols representing words in the future especially with regards to education.

    Kress, G. & van Leeuwen, T. (2006). Reading images: The grammar of visual design. New York: Routledge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is amazing - and I am noticing it more and more now that my awareness has been increased. I was looking at some training materials and was thinking that even when I develop eLearning content, I use a symbol for Best Practice and a symbol for Additional Information. Even though the text appears as well, the symbol is usually recognized by learners.

      Delete
  6. Cathy - your post made me think of all the other signs I'd forgotten about when I first read this chapter, or even thought about afterwards. I've traveled a lot for work in the past, and wherever I went, it was amazing how the signs helped steer me to where I wanted to go. Signs about where the beaches were, or signs on the highway (instead of text) that showed me pictures of mountains or rivers to aid in location. It made me think about the signs my wife gives me, just with a look, or her body posture, which can say more than words.

    I've often been a fan of Body-Speak, which is communication through pantomime. Whenever I teach my kids about the words "Connotation" and "Denotation" I always form a 'C' with my hands or a "D" and one year, a kid said, "Why do you do that Mr. Behar?" The answer was simple. I told him I try to reach kids any way I can, and if a funny "C" makes them remember, I'm happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's really awesome, Josh. I guess the goal is to utilize any tool or concept that helps the learner to remember. That really is what it's all about. You made me laugh about the signs your wife gives. My hubby and son always say that they can read me like a book. My teen son knows immediately when he is getting "the look" haha,

      Delete
  7. Cathy, Josh, and Cheryl,

    I'm finding myself so much more aware of signs/ shapes/ symbols after the reading as well! Cathy, I too, feel like I've always taken these things for granted instead of trying to make a deeper connection and meaning to them. Eye opening information!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny - I can't NOT see them now. :) I guess that's a good thing - it is an awareness for sure.

      Delete
  8. Hi Cathy,

    It is amazing how many symbols and signs are in our environment. As a special education teacher, I sometimes use signs and symbols to communicate with my students who are non-verbal. I have been known to wear a necklace with pictures attached to it. When I need to express a quick idea or direction to a non-verbal child with limited cognitive skills I'll flash a card. We've worked together to develop this system. Once I've gotten to know a child and pick up on how they think and how they interpret things, I create these little symbol necklaces for them. I've had the children create their own as well. Many programs give several images for a word. Having the child pick their own image that best links to their visual image in their head helps them to remember what each means and when to use it. It's amazing to watch the children communicate with these symbols; since they can't speak they are given a tool that helps them to "talk" through images. Without these images to show or point to they can be very lost (especially those students who can't use a voice output machine to assist them). Makes you realize how important signs and symbols are to so many.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea with your necklace. I can see kids really gravitating towards that. Watching kids communicate is amazing. They use so many types of literacies without even realizing it. I agree with you that flash cards are a good learning tool. I am a more visual person. If I read about analytics at work, they are often hard to remember but if I see a chart representing the data, I can typically remember it. Diagrams as well - the picture really helps to ingrain the information.

      Delete