Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Week 3 - Participatory Culture...and Analytics

In reading Chapter 3 of our text by Kress & Leeuwen, I noticed some similarities to topics covered in chapter 2 related to the semiotic theory and our use of symbols and signs.  Although certain topics addressed in this chapter seemed a bit confusing to me, I was drawn to the topics related to the use of diagrams and flowcharts for analytics.  I often use various diagrams, network diagrams, organizational charts for managing hierarchy and flowcharts to represent HR or Training data at my organization.  I also use tools like MS Visio to create a flow chart outlining a process or project.  I found it interesting to learn more about the use of these resources.  According to our text, a flowchart is “a hierarchy of words, a way of generating a clause by following a precise sequence of instructions, and a network might show the collocation of words – the other words with which any given word typically combines, regardless of the structural relations between the words” (p. 84).  This made me think of how I use these analytical tools myself.  .  The authors explain that “Analytical processes relate participants in terms of a part-whole structure. They involve two kinds of participants: one Carrier (the whole) and any number of Possessive Attributes (the parts)” (p. 87).  I build processes, outline associations, and manage tasks – all without knowing the foundation of these tools.  Using applications like MS Visio for creating flow charts and MS Excel for creating analytical charts make it seem so easy to the end user, however there is so much underlying that I never knew about or considered.

Much of what I do involves working with training and HR analytics.  I found this chapter to be a bit confusing, but very interesting and something I may want to understand further!  We look at data for many purposes. We look at our learning audience, we look at the training they prefer, we look at diversity statistics, and many other datasets that are visually represented in a diagram or dashboard.

This chapter also discussed topological processes.  “When analytical structures are topological they are read as accurately representing the physical spatial relations and the relative location of the Possessive Attributes” (p, 98). What I find most interesting is that I include various diagrams and schematics in my training and never knew what they were actually called or anything about them in this context.  It is nice to be able to add some depth and dimension to my knowledge when I am using these diagrams in my training materials.

Green’s Approach to Literacy

“The chart below consists of 3 overlapping circles which represent the following concepts: Operational, Cultural and Critical.”

The diagram shows the overlap of Operational (common literacy practices), Cultural (specific literacy practices), and Critical (critiquing literacy practices) and their impact on learning.
In analyzing the graphical representation provided of Green’s approach to literacy, I recognize the importance of incorporating all three concepts/dimensions (Operational, Cultural and Critical) of literacy and technology (Durrant & Green, 2000).  In my opinion, all are equally important and impactful for learning as a whole. Although employees are somewhat expected to adapt to the new ways of learning, in my experience they are typically open to it.  Newer employees entering the business world are typically more tech savvy and those less comfortable with technology are transitioned over time as we implement change.  Changing what they know and challenging their comfort level using new forms of media. In doing so, they are given options.  Everyone learns differently.  Some rely more heavily on the comfort level of a text, while others are engaged and stimulated by what technology has to offer.  The diagram helps to visually represent the all types of literacy working together.

The Jenkins Video

I really enjoyed the Jenkins video.  Throughout the video, Jenkins had a very clear message in regards to the participatory culture. He talked about changing culture in the Internet Age and ended with a very compelling question: "shouldn't we bring it [technology] into our classrooms?" He offered many points to consider.  I found myself taking notes feverishly and trying to retain much of what he was communicating. As I stated in my response to Josh Behar, I was surprised that he ended with the topic of internet in the classroom. The video actually left me wanting to hear more on his thoughts related to technology in the classroom.   Although he didn’t address it head on, I think it was left for us to consider all angles.  This is a topic that has so many pros and cons; there are distinct benefits but also strong concerns. I personally feel there is a place for the internet and other forms of emerging technology in our schools and corporate training environments.  I also believe that certain controls are necessary – to protect the learner and the company or school.  In the end, I believe that technology adds dimension to training, helps learners to learn, and supports the learning that is taking place. 

References:

Green, B.  (1996). "Graphical representation of GREEN's approach to literacy." Retrieved from https://moodle.esc.edu/mod/page/view.php?id=821667.

Jenkins, Henry. "TEDxNYED - Henry Jenkins - 03/06/10." Online video clip. Youtube. Uploaded on April 13th, 2010. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFCLKa0XRlw. January 29th, 2015.

Kress, Gunther & van Leeuwen, Theo (2006). Reading Images: The Grammar of Visual Design. New York: Routledge.

11 comments:

  1. Hi Cathy,

    I also wanted to hear more about Jenkins thoughts related to technology in the classroom. He just had a way about him that made you want to pay attention to what he had to say. The subject matter was easy to understand and relate to. I am finding that with the chapter readings, the subject matter is difficult to comprehend. It would be nice if Jenkins could provide lectures on each of the chapters for us to better understand the topic at hand. There was definitely more he could have mentioned about technology in the classrooms, but I tend to agree with him. I think we are already starting to see it take shape, but it just has to be done with guidelines and age appropriateness and capability of understanding the material in mind. What may be appropriate for middle school or high school will probably not be comprehended by students at a grade school level.

    I have to say I really liked your explanation on Green’s Approach to Literacy. To me, there was no clear cut understanding of what exactly he was trying to say with his diagram. I agree that operational, cultural, and critical concepts are all equally important to learning, literacy, and technology. After reading what you wrote, I was able to make a little more sense of his diagram. As you mentioned, everyone learns differently and I feel operational, cultural, and critical concepts are intertwined within the learning process and how one might interpret the information.

    It seems as though, through the reading, you seemed to be able to relate to the analytical processes and were able to provide an example of how you utilize analytical processes in your daily life. I found that I was drawn to the symbolic processes. I found it easier to understand and I was able to relate it to the previous reading on interactive and represented participants to help me understand what I was reading. Unfortunately, I still feel like I am trying to comprehend a language I have never encountered before. It’s nice to read how others are trying to make sense of the topics we are reading. Sometimes it helps me better understand myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mandy. I agree with you - it would be great if Jenkins had a video to correspond to the chapters! He really did have a clear and concise way of speaking. Like you said, he made you pay attention. I like his explanations and how he spoke in t way that made the information relevant. He made me think and also led me to questions...which I consider to be a good thing.

      I was able to relate to the readings in regards to the analytical processes more so than many of the other topics. .At first the content of symbols was a challenge for me. Reading the posts of others definitely help me to interpret it and make sense of it. The examples and scenarios shared by others helps me to make sense of it and try to apply it in my own experiences.

      Delete
    2. Cathy,

      I was curious to read what you wrote about Green, because I was hoping for a clearer understanding of his intention. Sadly, I must have some kind of mental block to this diagram, because I still don't really get it. I certainly do know what words like 'Operational,' 'Cultural,' and 'Critical,' mean, but I can't relate them to Green's diagram. Based on what you wrote, I'm assuming you think he is specifically talking about text and verbal literacy, as opposed to digital literacy?

      Please, if you take pity on a fellow colleague who really does want to learn, help me Obi-Cathy, you're my only hope. Explain it to me like I'm a five-year-old?

      Josh

      Delete
    3. Hi Josh - I may be going out on a limb about this, but I personally feel like the concepts displayed in this diagram can be applied to all types of literacy - not just text or verbal. I could be completely wrong. I did try researching this a bit further and I have to say, there is very little information available. The way I see it in the simplest form that makes sense to me is that operational refers to the content or language in general, the cultural would represent the more specific knowledge/understanding and the critical would represent the analysis, problem solving and decision making which makes up overall learning,

      Hopefully I did not add confusion or lead you to an incorrect assumption.

      Does anyone have a better way to clarify or explain this further?

      Cathy

      Delete
    4. To Cathy:

      You are right. There is not that much information on the Web about Green's 3-D Literacy model. You are forced to buy Green’s books if you want to know more. If you want to understand more about Green’s theories, go back and read or re-read the Week 1 by Durrant and Green’s (2000) article: Literacy and the new technologies in school education: Meeting the l(IT)eracy challenge? [Week 1 assignment]. This journal article explains why Green created the 3-D Literacy model. Basically, Green thought that schools were techno-centric in their literacy approach. Green thought this was a one-dimensional approach and that more dimensions needed to be looked at. Therefore, Green created the 3-D approach. The model (is confusing -- to me and to most of the rest of the class). It is a complex model and Green (in my opinion) could have done a better job explaining it – particularly because he said he was offering guidance! Green also did not (at least in the journal article) use a 3-D example that could have more fully explained the application of his model. But, to let Green off the hook, Green (2000) did say that the guidance was offered to teachers for “thinking through and towards this ‘sea change’ in literacy and education. Green did not say that he was offering a practical approach and that he was going to provide specific examples to help illustrate his new 3-D model. Perhaps the practical approach is in his books! The bottom line is that it is a conceptual model and not so much a practical approach. That lets the reader off the hook, too, because the reader (groping for practical guidance) is free to apply the model in any (reasonable) way that could improve upon literacy practices. As aforementioned, Green (2000) says at the beginning of the article: “In this article, we seek to provide some guidance for teachers in thinking through and towards this `sea-change' in literacy and education, particularly as it relates to and is likely to impact on schooling in New South Wales, and in Australia more generally.” Green believed that schools in Australia applied a techno-centric approach. Green did not mention other countries, but I suppose it may apply to America as well.
      The way I would go about applying the 3-D model is to say that we (obviously) have to look at all three dimensions: the operational, the cultural, and the critical. I guess that if a certain operational approach is being used in a school, the first question is to look at how the operational approach is being applied. How does this affect the student’s use of language and how does the student interact with various (traditional and multimodal texts)? The second question is: what is the social and cultural context? Educators must initially analyze the content and texts in terms of the socio-cultural context that the specific student is interacting with texts in -- and then either develop or change existing literacy practices to create a more “authentic” learning environment where the “range of texts” being used appropriately and effectively match the social context of the specific school or school culture in which the literacy practice is being applied in. The third question involves critiquing literary practices by asking critical questions, such as: do the presently implemented literacy practices in the school curriculum now properly match the social context and if not, changing (again) if necessary these present literacy practices. The critical dimension also involves looking at “the socially constructed nature of knowledge and literacy practices” in terms of the power structure and remedying this problem if necessary. Although Green does not really explain (at least, to my liking) his 3-D model clearly, and I am sure I am taking some license in interpreting it, I would assume that if the present school authority structure is impeding effective 3-D literacy in the schools, then school officials must “construct alternative perspectives” to remedy this structural problem. Easier said than done!

      Delete
    5. Thanks for the explanations, Robert. Conceptually, it makes more sense. I guess I just struggle with the visual representation in the diagram itself. Glad I am not alone in this! I am probably starting to over-think it a bit as well in my quest for clarity. I appreciate the suggestion to revisit the Week 1 article. I will definitely give that a try.

      Cathy

      Delete
  2. Agreed! I completely understand being confused by our reading; I actually think I'm overthinking much of it. Once I listened to Jenkins and then re-read back though our chapter it all started to make more sense to me.

    Once I realized what Kress and van Leeuwen are trying to say about diagraphs, charts, and organizers it started to make more sense. Seeing how things are visually displayed is actually easier to think and understand vs. listening to someone try to explain something. I do wish we had someone to explain / recap our reading to us so we know if we're interpreting it the right way. Like you said, it'd be nice to have Jenkins summarize our reading for us after each chapter!

    I also agree with you that GREEN's diagram with having all literacy practices displayed as equals is important. All three; operational, cultural and critical are all equally imporatant to literacy; if they were displayed in a chart that showed one having more power than another it wouldn't make any sense. After reading about all of the different diagrams and charts out there in Chapter 3, it's more apparent than ever that GREEN used the correct one to express his ideas visually.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there. Sounds as if we all need a little classroom conversation.Sometimes as I read the assignments , I'm not sure if I am an English language reader any longer.I think what happens for me , is that the language...the actual words seem to get in the way of understanding the gist of the concepts. That being said, I always think the gist is more relevant. I too, do not necessarily feel competent in my understanding of Green's diagram.
    Anyway...I don't think that Jenkins was really speaking to digital technology in the video. I think he was trying to illustrate that by having assess to social and cultural outlets of interest, students can create meaning in what they learn by directing their learning and by learning from whom and when they need to collaboratively. He comments that the idea would not to have " feral children raised by Web2.0", but instead to have adult mentors keeping safe watch,while young people create new ways to communicate, invent, imagine and have effect in the world in the ways that matter to them. If we approach things the way we do, we will wind up where we are. Young people 's brains are different then "those who have come before" (including us) Jenkins mentions how young people are disengaged from news media because of the static nature and non-participatory presentation of information. It all seems so huge and daunting. Kress and van Leeuwen remark that a network looses its focus and has no coherent picture, no vision The globalization of the "New Times" is unfathomable. How do all the pieces fit together?.. Young people want to be a part of something. I have found that in general young people are capable of being openminded and unbiased, accepting of differences and supportive of the "other". It is the global capital market driven economy , the old school classifications and the attachments to a current and unsustainable lifestyle that begin to shape them...to replicate what has been.If we continue to replicate ....everything, we will soon have nothing. Why not let fresh eyes , inventive minds and excited, unattached people have a go at it....not recklessly, but with some directed free reign, and mentor ship. Who knows what they will come up with?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Cathy,

    I like your comments about the Jenkins video where you state that there is a place for technology in the classroom but that certain controls must also exist as well. I completely agree. My school encourages BYOD (bring your own device) and as teachers we are NOT allowed to confiscate phones, laptops, etc. EVEN if the student is completely distracted by the technology. I see so many pros to technology. For example, the other day in my class, we conducted a lab experiment where all students collaborated on the same Google Sheet and logged their data so that all students could share their results. I thought this was so cool! But, I can't begin to explain what a distraction technology can be at times. The text, Twitter, Facebook, Angry Birds, Trivia Pop battles are certainly things that pre-Internet teachers do not envy us over.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kelly - I am surprised to hear that your school encourages BYOD - that has to be so tough for you in terms of managing the distractions. Although you want to promote creativity, technology, etc, you still have core content that you need to teach to them. Must be hard to balance for sure. That must be quite a challenge - I am sure it is often hard to get them to focus and engage. How do students who don't have a cell phone, laptop etc handle this? It almost seems like they would be at a disadvantage. My son is in 11th grade - he has a laptop, iPad and cell phone. He uses his laptop daily for homework but most teachers do not allow it in class. A few teachers are still known to confiscate phones...I hear about this regularly from my son and his friends.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Cathy-
    I too was very confused by the chapter which actually could be an interesting topic to think about as a whole being that we're studying new literacies. Like you however, I did enjoy Jenkins video. I thought the visuals he used and the questions he posed were very important. How do we use these new social media platforms in the class rooms? What is the correct balance?

    ReplyDelete