Wednesday, January 21, 2015

My Week 1 Journal Post

In this course we view new literacies as a social practice, just as we will consider visual grammar a social resource for meaning. Reflecting on your own literacy practices while connecting to the readings, respond in your first journal post to the following quote: "The distinctive contribution of the approach to literacy as social practice lies in the ways in which it involves careful and sensitive attention to what people do with texts, how they make sense of them and use them to further their own purposes in their own learning lives" (Gillen and Barton, 2010, p. 9).

In my opinion, the ways in which people learn continuously changes, supported by changes and advances in technology.  As we learn about new literacies throughout this MALET program, I anticipate ongoing changes and improvements to the way we do things even today.  We use words like ‘new’ and ‘emerging’ to define technology and its place and impact on learning and the learning environment. We also look at social and cultural practices and behaviors.  As learners and educators, we compare the old, comfortable ways of doing things with new and cutting edge ways to learn, improve processes and increase the ability to collaborate with others. 

No matter what changes and improvements are made, I feel that people will continue to react positively to texts as a means for learning.  I do believe that the texts themselves may evolve to provide the learner with more visual representations of the content. As our society becomes more visual, this will allow texts to continue to be relevant and remain a mainstay in the learning environment.  Based on the reading Digital Literacies: A research  briefing by the Technology Enhanced Learning phase of the Teaching and Learning Research Programme, Gunther Kress states in his work The Profound Shift of Digital Literacies that “Texts are becoming intensely multimodal, that is, image is ever-increasingly appearing with writing, and, in many domains of communication, displacing writing where it had previously been dominant” (Gillen and Barton, 2010, p. 6).

I believe that texts both in their content versions as well as their multimodal versions will remain a part of current/modern learning environments. I feel that texts will continue to have a place in the learning environment.  They offer a sense of consistency, a sort of foundation that all learners can build upon using various forms of new literacies.  This adaptability is achieved through various means such as social media, blogs, eLearning, simulations, webcasts, and podcasts, for example.  By incorporating textbooks along with these new literacies, learners are able to meet certain core objectives and competencies while offering the adaptability to adapt the individual learner outcomes. Based on our text, “Developments from a range of social theory perspectives have progressively chipped away at the virtual monopoly over educational research of text-based practices previously exercised by psychologists of one type or another” (Lankshear and Knobel, 2011, p, 76).

Practices I follow to help aid me in my journey of continuous learning still include using texts as that foundation to build upon.  I tend to take notes based on the readings, highlight passages, and refer back to the readings as sources. These practices help me to learn, retain and to understand the content.  There is something to be said for holding the book in your hands and navigating through it.  I can use my tablet to highlight and bookmark as well, however sometimes there is a benefit to having the actual book to reference. 

Philosopher Francis Bacon was credited with the quote “Knowledge is Power.”    Learners are empowered through the use of these new and varied literacies. Through these new literacies, learning is transported from a more individual/personal scenario to one which allows for collaboration, networking, and teambuilding. In addition, offering a varied array of options allows for learners of different generations to adapt and grow. I am a strong proponent of eLearning and blended methodologies, especially in the corporate learning environment, but I do believe that there is value to textbooks even in today’s ever-changing world.  This variation helps to meet and exceed the expectations of learners and facilitators – which are different when you consider traditional versus new expectations for learning outcomes and the transfer of knowledge at a rapid pace. In addition to an individual being deemed literate because he or she encompasses the ability to read and write, Gunther Kress states that “Digital literacies are in a deep and profound sense new literacies, not merely the traditional concept of literacy – reading and writing – carried on in new media” (Gillen and Barton, 2010, p.6).

In the company I work for, we rely on various types of communication including written content, live presentations, and visual aids.  We use tablets, computers, and smartphones, smart boards for demonstration purposes and note taking, textbooks, handouts, and posters.  In addition, eLearning plays a heavy role in the training of our employees.  Although many of the courses are somewhat linear in nature today, there are also courses which involve interactions, simulations and build your own adventure type scenarios.  I am always looking for new ways to incorporate additional emerging technologies into the current offerings.  Offering the varied methodologies allows us to communicate to employees real time as opposed to textbooks which are not necessarily updated and relevant as time goes by and change happens. In analyzing the graphical representation provided of Green’s approach to literacy, I recognize the importance of incorporating all three concepts/dimensions (Operational, Cultural and Critical) of literacy and technology (Durrant & Green, 2000).  In my opinion, all are equally important and impactful for learning as a whole. Although employees are somewhat expected to adapt to the new ways of learning, in my experience they are typically open to it.  Newer employees entering the business world are typically more tech savvy and those less comfortable with technology are transitioned over time as we implement change.  Changing what they know and challenging their comfort level using new forms of media. In doing so, they are given options.  Everyone learns differently.  Some rely more heavily on the comfort level of a text, while others are engaged and stimulated by what technology has to offer. 


References

Durrant, C., Green, B. (2000) Literacy and the new technologies in school education: Meeting the l(IT)eracy challenge? Australian Journal of Language and Literacy, 23(2), 89-108.

Julia Gillen & David Barton, Digital Literacies: A Research Briefing by the Technology Enhanced Learning Phase of the Teaching and Learning Research Programme: ESRC 2010.

Lankshear, C., & Knobel, M. (2011). Ideas of Functional Literacy: Critique and Redefinition of an Educational Goal. In Literacies: Social, cultural and historical perspectives. New York: Peter Lang.




14 comments:

  1. I really like philosopher Francis Bacon’s quote “Knowledge is Power” because it is so true. No matter how we are achieving that knowledge, whether it is by traditional textbooks or digital formats, we are learning something. Do you find that you prefer traditional forms of literacy or digital literacy or a mixture of both? I found that I have difficulty reading something more than a paragraph or two online and prefer textbooks or physical copies of articles for school. It took me a long time to take the plunge and buy a kindle, but I do utilize it for a lot of my personal reading, so I like a mixture of both old-school and new age. I find it interesting comparing school today with how it was when I was in school. Today, students are utilizing computers and tablets for learning. When I was in school we had the big, heavy computers for Newspaper class, but I didn’t get the chance to use them for other classes. I had to type my papers with a typewriter and lug heavy textbooks home to complete assignments. You made an excellent point “offering the varied methodologies allows us to communicate to employee’s real time as opposed to textbooks which are not necessarily updated and relevant as time goes by and change happens”. I never thought about it that way. Though there is important information that can still be taken from textbooks, digital forms of literacy offer more up to date information and views on topics. I think this way of learning will make things simpler, especially for the tech savvy as time goes on. Unfortunately, it can be an adjustment to those who have no technological experience. My dad is a trucker driver and they are placing computers in each of the trucks to track mileage and make paper work simpler to complete. My dad had no experience with a computer, so my husband (an IT guy) fixed up a laptop for him so he could learn. My 7-year-old nephew sat with my dad and helped him navigate the laptop. Children are now educating adults, and I think we are going to see more of that as media and literacy are ever-changing. Do you agree?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that quote as well. I work for a company that truly puts a focus on training and employee development. I often think of it to remind myself and others that the training is valuable to better ourselves both as an employee and a continuous learner. I find that I truly prefer a combination of both traditional forms of literacy and digital literacy. I come from an eLearning background. I do prefer doing most of my reading online now however I will admit to sometimes printing something out to be able to make my own notes and comments.

    I agree with your comments about school being so different today. My son is in high school and he carries a phone, a laptop and an ipad with him almost every day - and actual uses them for school work purposes! That would never have been acceptable when I was in school!

    I can imagine that it would be tough for anyone who wasn't part of the transition where technology really took control of everything we do. I really so heavily on technology for business and personal uses. I cannot imagine NOT having it available to me. I am sure your dad will learn some efficiencies from the new forms of technology and will grow to rely on them. Do you see that happening or do you think he will be more resistant to change? I do find it funny how easily kids adapt to it all though. They just continue to adapt to new apps, new games, etc. My nephew is a year old and plays games on his mom's phone and ipad!

    Thank you for the feedback.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is amazing how easily children have adapted to new technology. They are so intelligent and I think it's funny that they can teach older adults how to use the modern technology. My dad is slowly adjusting, but he is very much old school and hands on in everything he does. He learned how to fix cars as a child from his dad. He can still do it, but needs to rely on manuals a little bit more for the newer cars, and there are some new cars he refuses to work on because of the computer systems set up in the car. I think it's frustrating for him because he was able to work on any car you put in front of him, but now with the advanced technology and computer set up in the newer cars - he is being challenged by something he is unfamiliar with. He's trying to teach my nephew and my husband everything he can but the new advancements have made it difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mandy - That must be so frustrating for him. It is amazing how quickly and how often things change. It really confirms just how important it is to try to stay on top of the latest technology breakthroughs in all fields.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are a few things I really like about this post.

    1. It was done early! I had to go on 4 URL's before I found someone who'd actually completed the assignment today, so I was thankful for your post.

    2. You quoted Francis Bacon! Who does that? I also appreciated that you pulled in other articles and thoughts, not just to support your ideas, but so show that you've really given this topic some consideration.

    3. You focused on positives, not negatives - I'm not sure about you, but I found that Digital Literacies article (or briefing…) to be extremely jargon-heavy and at times, very difficult to understand. Because of that, I focused my journal entry on clearing away the cobwebs to digital literacy and trying to be as specific as possible. I noticed you did the same…and it was refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Josh! I really appreciate your feedback. I think that quote is awesome. I find I reference it at work quite a bit when employees complain about another training requirement! I try to explain that it is all about continuous learning and improving competencies. I explain how competitive the world is and how important it is to adapt to changes in technology. Hence one of my favorite quotes! :) I agree that the Digital Literacies article was jargon-heavy at times. It did offer some interesting points to consider. I tried to focus my post on those points.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cathy-
    I agree with you about the textbooks. I was very happy to have textbooks in this course. I like to have a text to refer to and hold and to be able to highlight. This is where I feel most comfortable since I grew up learning like this. My journey into technology started when I graduated from college. I love technology but my comfort when reading and digesting information is still in textbooks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cheryl - it does provide a comfort level to have that text in hand. In addition to highlighting, I am a big fan of taking notes. It helps me to remember what I am reading and also to refer back to it to further digest the information.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cathy- I really enjoyed reading your post. It was so well organized. It helped me to comprehend the assigned readings. I think there is probably something to be said about reading an article and then reading someone else's assessment. I agree there is something to be said for holding the book in your hands and navigating through it. I'm just getting use to reading from a tablet without printing the work out and it takes some getting use to. I'm also a big fan of taking notes and even creating my blog entry in a word document prior to posting it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I found your post to be very relatable, especially in terms of book referencing. I adore technology; much like everyone else I use it everyday. Whether for training purposes, learning purposes or fun, technology is the constant in my life. However, one part of me still remains “old school”, the way I reference material. I still highlight book sections like you, even when researching online I take written notes. I think because this was ingrained in me at a young age, today I rarely see younger people actually taking traditional notes, I see a lot of book marking (digitally) and a lot of copy and past happening. In no way do I view this as wrong or my way as right; my way just feels right to me. I feel often as though I am caught in the middle of old school and new school. I watch my parents struggle with technology even though both have done so well both academically and in their professional careers. Then I see my youngest sister who was weak academically strive when it comes to hacking systems and reading and designing code as an agent for the government. She hates to read books, never liked to write papers and yet you put a bunch of code in front of her and she reads and deciphers it in a matter of minutes. As a result, I feel strongly that technology is offering another level of literacy to those who have had difficulties in a more traditional setting in the past. In some ways technology has allowed the tables to turn, especially in terms of literacy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Laticha - it is so funny you said that about typing your posts in a Word doc - I do the same thing! I even do that with most of my responses. That's too funny - I am glad I am not the only one! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Shannon - I can totally understand and relate to the scenarios you mention. My son HATES to take notes. I really don't think he has ever really had to. He laughs at me that I always use post-its, take notes about everything, and even have the Note 4 for a phone. Like you mentioned, I guess it is all about exposure and where a person's comfort level is. He has one class where he is allowed to reference any notes he took during tests. They typically don't help him - I would have totally benefited from this! I wonder if that is the teacher's way of maybe reminding students that there is a benefit to note taking!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cathy - this question is totally unrelated to our reading…but how did you change the font on New Media and New Literacies? I can't do that…figured out how to change my background though…

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Josh - below are the steps I followed. If you have trouble let me know and I can email you screen shots.

    1. Click the drop down to the right of the Go To Post List button on Blogger page
    Template
    2. Click Customize
    3. Click Advanced
    4, Select Blog Title
    5. From here you can modify the text

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete